This ham and cheese breakfast strata is an easy dish to make for a complete breakfast. It is also one of my favorite dishes to bring to a brunch, since it can easily feed a lot of people. You can use white or whole wheat bread — white bread tastes a little better in my opinion, but whole wheat bread is healthier and will keep you full longer. I usually opt for the whole wheat bread option, especially in this dish, which is already hearty and full of flavor!
Best of all, it’s super easy to make. Arrange a few pieces of bread on the bottom of a greased baking dish (I used an 8×8-inch pan.) Top with chopped ham and pour beaten eggs over, sprinkling with cheese before baking it in the oven. The bread becomes soaked with egg and, once it bakes in the oven, it tastes fluffy and scrumptious. It is almost like a savory baked French toast!
- 3 slices of whole wheat bread, halved
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped ham
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange the bread at the bottom of a greased 8×8-inch baking dish.
- Add the eggs, milk, salt and pepper to a Magic Bullet cup and blend until well combined and frothy.
- Sprinkle the chopped ham over the bread and pour the egg mixture on top.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake for 30 minutes until cheese is starting to brown.
Makes 1 8×8 dish.