Broccoli Slaw Salad with Peanut Butter Dressing0
What is it about heat that has us craving salads? I live down the street from a salad place, and the first hot day of summer is always the same: lines down the block. I like salad as much as the next person, and sometimes it’s nice to vary it up a little.
Here’s an interesting salad using broccoli slaw, broccoli’s little brother and coleslaw’s cousin. (Does that also make coleslaw broccoli’s cousin?)
Anyway, this recipe has multiple advantages: it’s a little different (due to the slaw), it’s very easy (my grocery sells pre-made broccoli slaw), it’s cheap, it’s very delicious, and apparently it can be made ahead without much wilting (killer slaw!). It’s topped with a delicious peanut butter and soy based dressing, too, which I’m sure would work on many salads. I used pan-fried salmon here, but feel free to sub in your protein of choice.
Adapted from The Kitchn.
Broccoli Slaw Salad with Peanut Butter Dressing
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, any type
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. hot sauce, any kind
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 12 oz bag of undressed broccoli slaw
- 1 medium red bell pepper, core removed, sliced
- cooked protein, any type
- 1/4 cup croutons (I used broken up crackers)
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Blend the peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, hot sauce, and sesame oil in the Magic Bullet.
- Put the broccoli slaw and the pepper in a large bowl and toss with the dressing.
- Just before serving, add the peanuts and cilantro. Top with protein and serve.