The avocado’s rich and creamy texture is perfect for spreading on toast for a simple meal. With help from the Magic Bullet, this recipe adds a spicy dynamic to the natural avocado flavor, combining it with jalapeño and crushed red pepper to create an easy-to-make, flavor-rich and super healthy spread.
The only difficult part of this recipe is deciding what bread to put it on!
Spicy Avocado Spread Recipe
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 jalapeño pepper
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Cut avocado and jalapeño pepper. When cutting jalapeño, make sure to cut it length-wise so you’re able to control the number of seeds added to the recipe.
- Combine avocado, jalapeño and red pepper in Magic Bullet and blend.
Whether it’s to start your day or keep it moving along, this meal will point you in the right direction.
“Bowls”: I know, trending right now. I’m sorry to be part of the trend. I really am. But, what can I say? Sometimes trends happen for a reason. (I still like pesto.) Anyway, if you haven’t tried making sushi bowls, you’re in for a treat: it turns out that a lot of the magic going on behind the sushi counter is about presentation. You can make a perfectly delicious, sushi-like creation with only a few simple ingredients. I use brown rice for a better glycemic index, too.
I’m lucky enough to live near an excellent Japanese store in Washington, DC that sells sushi-grade fish at reasonable prices, but you could easily substitute crabstick or shrimp for an equally delicious meal. The Magic Bullet whips up the seasoning in no time flat.
Sushi Bowl Recipe
Sushi Rice Ingredients
- 1.5 cups short grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbl sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Protein, any type (I used seared tuna, sliced)
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced (peeling is optional)
- Scallions, sliced
- Big dash of sesame seeds
- Nori (roasted sushi seaweed)
- Soy sauce
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil and add the rice. Cook for 30 minutes. Drain and refrigerate for 60 minutes (or if you’re pressed for time, rinse with cold water).
- Meanwhile, blend vinegar, sugar, and salt in the Magic Bullet.
- Mix rice with vinegar mixture.
- Put rice in bowl and add garnishes. Serve, passing wasabi and soy sauce.
This butternut squash pizza is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes, because it is very flavorful and filling. Rosemary butternut purée is spread onto a pizza crust and then topped with caramelized onions, crumbled goat cheese and arugula. To speed things up in the kitchen, you can use a store-bought pizza crust. This recipe works well as an appetizer or main dish.
Butternut Squash Pizza Recipe
- 1 large pizza crust
- 1 butternut squash, halved
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the butternut squash halves skin-side up on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 40 minutes, until soft.
- Scoop out the cooked squash into a Magic Bullet cup and add the rosemary and water. Blend until smooth.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet over medium heat and add the onions. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spread the butternut squash purée onto the pizza crust.
- Top with the onions and goat cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove and top with arugula.
Makes 1 12-inch pizza
Sometimes the simplest salad dressings are the best. This recipe blends balsamic, olive oil, honey and a handful of almonds into a light and delicious dressing you’ll be pouring over every salad. It’ll become your reason to have salad!
Honey Balsamic Almond Dressing Recipe
- 4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 12 almonds
- Combine all ingredients in Magic Bullet and blend thoroughly.
- Add some chicken, quinoa or tofu and dig in!
Recapping 2016, I wonder, is farro going to be the IT grain of 2016?! Farro seems to be getting a lot of buzz! Its star is rising! Farro appreciates all the attention, but has it lost touch with its roots? Only time will tell….
Anyway, here I combine farrow with another once-trendy ingredient, pimenton, aka smoked Spanish paprika, for a delicious grain “salad” with fish and roasted broccoli. The pimenton makes an appearance in the dressing as well as in the fish. This ended up being a home run: the farro was nutty and crunchy, the pimenton smoky and savory, the broccoli healthy and flavorful and also crunchy and smoky, and the whole thing pretty darn healthy.
Get ahead of the fad and try farro today. It’s just pretty darn good.
Pimenton Grain Salad with Fish, Farro and Roasted Broccoli Recipe
- 1 lb fish, any type (I used swordfish)
- 2 tbl pimenton, separated
- 4 tbl olive oil, plus more for cooking and coating
- 2 tbl white balsamic vinegar, or any vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2/3 cup farro
- four scallions, sliced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Toss broccoli with olive oil and salt and roast until crunchy and just beginning to blacken.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the farro. Cook for 20 minutes or until al dente, then drain.
- Toss the fish with a tablespoon of pimenton and salt. Heat a dash of olive oil over medium heat, then add the fish and cook until just barely cooked through.
- Meanwhile, blend the garlic in the Magic Bullet. Add the olive oil, a tablespoon of pimenton, and the vinegar and blend.
- Mix together broccoli, farro, scallions, and the dressing. Top with the fish and serve.
During the Winter months, my kids come home from school with all the germs that are going around the school. I’ve noticed that if my family is eating the right nutrients, we get over the colds much quicker, and sometimes don’t even catch the colds! Smoothies have always been a lifesaver, because sometimes when you don’t feel good, you don’t always feel like eating. This is a quick and easy smoothie that has all the right cold fighting ingredients, while getting something in your body to fight whatever is going on!
Cold Buster Creamsicle Green Smoothie
- 1 navel orange, peeled
- ½ – 1 c. non dairy milk, or milk of choice (coconut taste great!)
- ½ c. frozen spinach, or 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 tb. honey
- ½ c. mango or ½ c. pineapple
- 1 small frozen banana
- Add all ingredients to the Magic Bullet Blender.
- Blend until creamy, pour into a glass, then drink immediately.
Crumbled bacon and this hearty corn chowder is a match made in heaven. Sweet corn is blended together with potatoes and heavy cream to create a creamy chowder. Blend the entire batch of soup if you like it extra creamy, or leave some unblended if you want a little more texture to your chowder. Either way, you will love how creamy and filling this soup is and how easy it is to make. Serve this corn chowder as a side to your favorite BBQ menu, or as a main for a hearty lunch.
Creamy Corn Chowder Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups frozen sweet corn
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon for topping
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the corn, thyme, potatoes, pepper, cream and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then cool to room temperature.
- Blend the soup in a Magic Bullet blender until creamy, then add back to the pot.
- Serve with crumbled bacon on top.
Makes 6 servings
Peanut butter is delicious, and muffins are a wonderful treat. It was only a matter of time before we combined the two. This peanut butter muffin recipe is easy and super tasty. It’s a great balance of flavors that isn’t too rich, but filling enough to leave you satisfied.
Peanut Butter Muffin Recipe
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- Combine peanut butter, milk, egg and baking powder in Magic Bullet and blend.
- Gradually blend in flour until thoroughly combined.
- Add to slightly oiled cupcake tray and cook at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Top it off with a few dabs of your favorite jam or jelly to give it a sweet kick!
These noodles will drive you craaaaazy. OK, I can’t back that up, but they’re spicy and funky and unexpectedly cold, like a salad and ramen’s spicy funky lovechild. OK, I can’t back that up either. In any event, get yourself some kimchi – I got delicious radish kimchi from my local farmer’s market – and you’ll have these noodles made in twenty minutes or less. Might we even say they are healthy? They contain very little fat and a lot of vegetables, so… Hey, yeah. A salad it is.
The Magic Bullet makes whipping together the dressing very easy, and the only other time factor is the minutes it takes to boil the noodles and the time it takes to slice some veggies. Add a soft-boiled egg for protein and incredible richness, and you’ve got yourself a spicy, funky meal.
Adapted from The New York Times
Cold, Spicy Kimchi Noodle Recipe
- 1 cup kimchi
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 two-inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 2 tbl brown sugar
- 1 tbl gochujang
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 tbl sesame oil
- 1 tbl rice vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbl fish sauce
- ½ lb soba noodles
- 1 cucumber, peeled and large diced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbl sesame seeds
- Blend kimchi, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, gochujang, miso, sesame oil, rice vinegar, lime juice, and fish sauce in your Magic Bullet.
- Meanwhile, cook soba noodles until al dente and rest in cold water. Drain. Boil eggs for about five minutes and rest in cold water. Peel.
- Mix noodles, sauce, tomatoes, noodles, and cucumbers. Serve, garnishing with eggs and sesame seeds.
Acai is one of the most popular smoothie choices right now, and I love that it’s so easy to make at home without paying an arm and a leg! My kids love the vibrant color that the smoothie makes, and I love all of the antioxidants that come with it. Just blend it up until creamy, and for added flavor and texture, top with your favorite toppings! Granola, chocolate chips, fruit, and a drizzle of honey are just some of my favorites!
Acai Berry Smoothie Recipe
- 1 acai smoothie pack
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 1 small frozen banana
- 1 cup milk of choice
- Optional toppings: honey, granola, chocolate chips, fruit
- Add all ingredients into the Magic Bullet Blender.
- Blend until creamy, then pour into a glass or bowl. Top with your favorite ingredients and enjoy!