Truth: I never had a deviled egg until 2013.
But then I had one and I’m sort of addicted. I get this strange urge for them in the middle of the day. Or in the morning. Or before bed. Who knows what’s going on.
In any case, I decided I would make a ton at once to
binge on share with friends who were coming over.
I used Virginia Willis’ recipe as a jumping point.
- 12 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1/3 cup mayonanise
- 1 healthy pinch of cayenne pepper
- Sald and pepper to taste
- To hard-cook the eggs:
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and add water to cover them by 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil over high heat (you will see bubbles around the sides of the pot). Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 12 minutes.
- Drain the eggs and rinse them under cold running water. Set aside to cool completely.
- Peel your eggs!
- Cut the eggs in half length wise and remove the yolks. Put them in your Magic Bullet.
- Blend the yolks, mayonnaise, mustard, and cayenne, and mix until smooth in your Magic Bullet.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the yolk mixture in a piping bag or a ziploc bag (cut the corner to make a DIY piping bag) and pipe into the whites!
- Try not to eat them all in less than five minutes.
Now that’s the true challenge.