Gourmet Fish Sticks with Zucchini and Crispy Chickpeas0
One pan meals: are they the greatest thing ever, or just one of the greatest things ever? You get all the components of a well-rounded, delicious meal with minimal work and cleanup. Sold. Even better if the whole shebang is healthy and delicious too.
To wit, here’s a delicious recipe for “fish sticks” – crispy and delicious panko-breaded cod, that is – with a vegetable side and delicious, crispy chickpeas. And, although the fish may taste fried, it’s not! This meal contains only healthy fish oils, and chickpeas. Plus, your handy Magic Bullet makes everything a snap to prepare.
Adapted from The New York Times.
One-Pan Gourmet Fish Sticks with Zucchini and Crispy Chickpeas Recipe
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Big pinch dry thyme
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Big dash whole black peppercorns
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pound cod or other white fish
- 3 zucchini or yellow squash, sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and dried on paper towels
- Vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Blend the garlic in the Magic Bullet and mix with the panko and thyme in a bowl. Add the flour to another bowl.
- Blend the eggs and the mustard in the Magic Bullet. Remove to a bowl.
- Season fish with salt. Dredge each piece of fish in the flour, then mustard mixture, then panko mixture, making sure it is well coated with each one before moving to the next.
- Toss the chickpeas and zucchini and squash in oil and salt.
- Put the chickpeas, zucchini and squash on a baking sheet. Put the fish on a sheet too, on a rack if you have one.
- Roast everything until the fish is cooked, the zucchini is browned, and the chickpeas are crispy, about 20 minutes, checking every 5 to 10 minutes for doneness and removing any element that’s done.