Perfect Spicy Green Beans0
For me, one of the keys to eating healthy at home is having a lot of simple, adaptable techniques for making flavor-filled vegetable sides. Don’t get me wrong – I love the more elaborate dishes, too – but if you’re going to sustain a lifestyle of cooking and eating healthfully, then you need to be able to easily make vegetables the star of your meal. And when I need to get a simple, healthy dinner on the table fast, I often find myself turning to these green beans.
The technique is straightforward and infinitely variable: sauté green beans in a skillet on high heat to give them a nice bit of brown, then add water and steam until they reach the perfect texture. Along the way, you add in garlic, citrus and your favorite flavors and spices. This version uses Asian chili garlic sauce, which is a condiment your kitchen most certainly needs, and sesame oil. But any fresh herb or other sauce would work – whatever you need to match your meal.
One last note. It’s true that I think of this dish as a part of the key to healthy eating. But that doesn’t mean you have to skimp on the butter! A generous (but not absurd) pat of yellow gold means that you’re making green beans the most delicious thing on your plate – and that’s a great way to fill your diet with good stuff.
Perfect Spicy Green Beans Recipe
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- ¾ tbl butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbl chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbl sesame oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- Peel garlic and mince in the Magic Bullet. Add butter and chili garlic sauce and blend.
- Add green beans to skillet on high heat. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until green beans are thoroughly browned.
- Add ¼ cup water. Cover and reduce heat. Allow green beans to steam for 2 minutes, until cooked through but still a touch crispy.
- Add garlic mixture and cook until flavors meld, another minute.
- Add sesame oil and lemon.
- Serve and enjoy!