Red Velvet Beet Cupcakes0
Red velvet cupcakes are my weakness. Especially with cream cheese frosting. February is the perfect month to bake red velvet cupcakes in order to celebrate Valentine’s Day. This year, I give you a healthier version, using fresh beets in this cupcake recipe. The beets give the cupcakes a beautiful, natural color and moist texture. We don’t need to use any artificial food dyes or a lot of butter in this recipe, which makes it much healthier! Go ahead and eat your heart out.
Red Velvet Beet Cupcake Recipe
- 2 beets, boiled, peeled and chopped
- ⅔ cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with liners.
- Add the beets, buttermilk, and vanilla to a Magic Bullet cup can blend.
- Combine the butter, oil, sugar and salt in a stand mixer (or bowl with electric beaters) and add the beet mixture.
- Whisk the flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl and slow add to the mixer.
- Fill the liners 3/4 full and bake for 18 minutes.
Makes 1 dozen cupcakes