Shallot-Corn Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette0
Here’s an easy, delicious side salad that goes well with almost anything. Bitter arugula contrasts nicely with sweet corn, made flavorful by browning in a pan, and rich, fragrant, and sweet shallots – all cut by a simple lemony vinaigrette that’s deliciously tart. This is incredibly easy – I used frozen corn – and hits all the flavor receptacles in your brain. Hat tip to Blue Apron for coming up with the recipe idea.
I served this with some salmon “croquettes” from Trader Joe’s, warmed up in the oven and served on toast with mayo. The lemon in the vinaigrette really cut the fattiness of the salmon, and the salad has enough going on that the meal is really well rounded. I happened to have some avocado lying around so I threw that in too just for good measure.
Make sure to really get the corn good and brown for extra flavor. Of course, you could use freshly shucked corn, and that’d be even better, but we’re not really seeing that in the farmers markets around here anymore.
Shallot-Corn Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ lb frozen corn, thawed
- 1 bag arugula
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- chunks of avocado, to taste
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook until softened, then add the corn and cook until quite brown.
- Blend lemon juice and oil in Magic Bullet.
- Mix arugula and shallot-corn mixture, dress with the vinaigrette, and add avocado if you like. Serve with a salmon sandwich or anything, really.