Latest posts by The Pasta Man (see all)
- Pasta carbonara - February 15, 2017
- Sushi Bowls - February 2, 2017
- Pimenton Grain Salad with Fish, Farro and Roasted Broccoli - January 25, 2017
“Bowls”: I know, trending right now. I’m sorry to be part of the trend. I really am. But, what can I say? Sometimes trends happen for a reason. (I still like pesto.) Anyway, if you haven’t tried making sushi bowls, you’re in for a treat: it turns out that a lot of the magic going on behind the sushi counter is about presentation. You can make a perfectly delicious, sushi-like creation with only a few simple ingredients. I use brown rice for a better glycemic index, too.
I’m lucky enough to live near an excellent Japanese store in Washington, DC that sells sushi-grade fish at reasonable prices, but you could easily substitute crabstick or shrimp for an equally delicious meal. The Magic Bullet whips up the seasoning in no time flat.
Sushi Bowl Recipe
Sushi Rice Ingredients
- 1.5 cups short grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbl sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Protein, any type (I used seared tuna, sliced)
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced (peeling is optional)
- Scallions, sliced
- Big dash of sesame seeds
- Nori (roasted sushi seaweed)
- Soy sauce
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil and add the rice. Cook for 30 minutes. Drain and refrigerate for 60 minutes (or if you’re pressed for time, rinse with cold water).
- Meanwhile, blend vinegar, sugar, and salt in the Magic Bullet.
- Mix rice with vinegar mixture.
- Put rice in bowl and add garnishes. Serve, passing wasabi and soy sauce.